When it comes to skincare, more and more women are beginning to see the light – and we mean that literally! Cosmetic procedures that involve the use of light waves and laser light are all the rage these days because of their ability to make the skin look beautiful, blemish-free, and bright (no pun intended)! Luckily for you, you need not look far to get your hands on these miracle makers.
Here at Lovoir Skin Body & Beauty, our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment has been a go-to among women eager to improve their troublesome skin conditions. Rosacea, acne scars, wrinkles – you name it, and we’re here to help!
In this article, we give you the lowdown on everything you need to know about the IPL craze – the technology, the benefits, and what you can expect from our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment. Keep reading, and you’ll soon realise why it’s becoming one of top customer favorites!
What is IPL Skin Rejuvenation?
We can’t talk about IPL Skin Rejuvenation without first taking a trip down memory lane. Well, actually we can, but we love a good history lesson so bear with us!
IPL or Intense Pulsed Light first entered the scene in 1995, initially intended as a cosmetic treatment for spider veins – a skin condition of inflamed and swollen blood vessels. In order to correct its unsightly visibility on the skin, the IPL device was used to target these blood vessels, resulting in a significant improvement on its web-like appearance! This impressive technology was soon discovered to correct other skin tone and texture problems as well, specifically those related to pigment cells, hair follicles, and broken skin tissues. It has since evolved into different types of IPL machines, from at-home devices to professional-grade equipment, all varying in efficacy and post-treatment results.
Today, IPL is a master of many titles – IPL photofacial, IPL photorejuvenation, and here at Lovoir Skin Body & Beauty – IPL Skin Rejuvenation. But regardless of what dermatologists and skin clinics prefer to call them, they are simply fancy terms of the same scientific breakthrough – lightwaves as a form of healing!
Now that we’re done with history, let’s move on to science – the fun kind, we promise!
How Does IPL Work?
For those of you new to IPL, you’re probably wondering how something as intangible as light can treat such tangible and visible skin problems! Well, prepare to be amazed, because when it comes to IPL, the magic is so much more than what meets the eye (literally)! Here’s how it works.
Our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment makes use of broad spectrum lightwaves that penetrate the skin to target the problem at its root – whether it be discolouration due to pigment cells, clogged pores due to hair follicles, or deep scars due to damaged skin tissue. These bursts of light are released through our handheld IPL device, which when absorbed by skin, turn into heat and destroy these invisible culprits.
Now, when we say “bursts” of light, we don’t mean explosive fireworks or painful burning! IPL is a non-invasive treatment that is generally painless – save for minimal discomforts – and is nothing close to surgical treatments. Light is set to safe and specific wavelengths that only target problematic areas and leave surrounding skin unharmed. In quite the same manner, you shouldn’t expect magic wands and Cinderella-esque transformations either! While it is an effective treatment, IPL is not an instant solution. We usually recommend four to six sessions for best results. This will ultimately depend on our skin therapist’s analysis of your condition. Start by booking a consultation with us so we can recommend the best treatment plan for you.
All that said, here’s a rundown of all the ways our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment can help you!
Is IPL Good for the Skin?
Our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment does exactly what its name suggests – rejuvenate your skin from the inside out. By getting rid of damaged tissues, pigment cells, and clogged follicles, your skin stands a chance of healing at the core and developing a better, brighter, more flawless appearance.
Here are the IPL benefits you can look forward to!
What are the Benefits of IPL?
We are often approached by customers plagued by all forms of skin discolouration, from random dark spots to more severe hyperpigmentation issues. With our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment, we target pigment cells that cause these unwanted spots. After one to three sessions, you will notice a significant improvement in lighter, more evened out skin tone!
- Evens out skin tone by lightening skin discolourations like dark spots, age spots, sun spots and freckles
- Can be effective on some forms of melasma
Broken capillaries are a common cause behind skin conditions like rosacea, spider veins, and visible signs of facial redness. Our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment addresses this deep-rooted problem by destroying the affected blood vessels, which are naturally absorbed back into the skin. The result is brighter, more radiant skin – without the redness!
- Reduces facial redness caused by rosacea
- Reduces vascular lesions caused by spider veins and broken blood vessels
Apart from addressing skin tone concerns, our IPL device is also equipped to handle skin texture issues. For acne, in particular, light energy is absorbed to kill acne-causing bacteria – getting rid of active acne and healing the skin in the process!
- Smoothes out acne scars, bumps, and wound scars
- Gets rid of active acne by killing the bacteria and speeding up healing
Skin texture improvement
Anti-aging is another benefit you can expect from our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment. By targeting damaged skin tissues and clogged hair follicles, it can improve the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and enlarged pores.
- Reduces wrinkles and tightens the skin
- Minimizes the appearance of pores
Apart from skin improvements, IPL treatments are equally popular for removing unwanted hair. Heat absorbed by skin destroys hair follicles and prevents new hair growth. However, some IPL machines in the market are limited in terms of treating certain skin tones. Before seeking this treatment for your hair removal goals, an important first step is to consult our skin therapists to see if our machine is suitable for you.
If you want to learn more about how IPL works for specific skin problems, we have dedicated articles that may give you a better understanding. Feel free to explore our in-depth guides or reach out to us for any questions!
- IPL Skin Rejuvenation for Acne Scars
- IPL Skin Rejuvenation for Broken Capillaries
- IPL Skin Rejuvenation for Dark Spots and Pigmentation
- IPL Skin Rejuvenation for Rosacea
- IPL Skin Rejuvenation for Wrinkles
The IPL Procedure
If you’re still wary about booking your IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment with us, we’ll give you a sneak peek of what you can expect from the procedure!
- IPL treatments aren’t a walk-in procedure. Make sure to book your treatment ahead of time! As mentioned, we recommend you to book a consultation first so we can learn more about your skin condition, history of treatments, and other relevant information. This will help us guarantee the best experience for you!
- In the days leading up to your appointment, we encourage you to avoid prolonged sun exposure as much as possible. Be generous in applying a high-SPF sunscreen to shield your skin from UV rays – this includes days spent indoors or under a shade. The sun has its sneaky ways so the safer, the better!
- Downsize your skin care routine at least a week before your appointment. Stay away from products that could cause skin sensitivities and irritation, like AHAs, BHAs, and other potent ingredients. That way, we can ensure that your skin responds to the treatment in the best way possible!
- Similarly, avoid taking aspirin and other anti-inflammatory medication. This is an added safety measure to avoid any possible blood clotting or skin reactions. Although rare, we always have your safety in mind!
- On the day of the procedure, you should walk into our beauty clinic bare-faced and without any makeup.
- We’ll start the procedure by cleansing your skin, after which we will ask you to wear special protective glasses. Because beams of light are involved, we want to keep your eyes as protected as possible.
- We will lather a cooling gel around your target area, then proceed to applying the IPL device. Expect to feel a warm or tingling sensation as we move across your face. To give you a glimpse of what it could feel like: Just imagine a rubber band snapping as each pulse of light is delivered. It may sound scary, but for your peace of mind, most of our customers have no complaints about the feeling!
- We’ll end the session by applying a soothing lotion around your face. This will help calm your skin and relieve you from any possible discomfort.
- The entire procedure usually takes around 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the target area. After which, you can proceed with your day-to-day tasks with zero to minimal downtime.
- You may experience some skin sensitivities and redness afterwards, but don’t panic, it’s totally normal! In most cases, these side effects wear off after a few hours.
- For treating capillaries: Expect a little bruising around your face, which usually goes away within five to seven days.
- For treating pigmentation: The targeted pigments will start to darken after the treatment, which is a good sign! Over the course of 10 to 14 days, they will eventually flake off on their own. If it’s your first time on IPL, you might need a day or two to recover, depending on your skin’s condition.
- Wearing a high-SPF sunscreen is a MUST! If possible, avoid sun exposure completely for the next few weeks. That way, your sensitive skin will be able to heal as fast as possible.
- If you’re already forgetting everything we just said, don’t worry! We’ll provide you with IPL Skin Rejuvenation aftercare guidelines, as well as recommend skin products that you can use while on recovery.
Common Questions about IPL
Now that you’re up to speed on what to expect from our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment, we’ll end this article by answering some of the most common questions we get from our customers. For anything else you want to know, we’re just a consult away!
Is IPL for everyone?
Our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment works best on people with pale to light brown skin. As is the case with most IPL machines, customers with dark skin may not react well to light or laser skin therapies because of their higher amounts of melanin, which can cause even more pigmentation if light is applied. That said, your safest bet would be to ask our skin therapists about our machine’s capability on your specific skin tone. If IPL is not possible, we have other beauty treatments that we can recommend depending on your skin goals.
Apart from certain skin tones, IPL may also not be suitable for the following people:
- Pregnant women
- Those taking medications for other health conditions
- Those using skin products that contain retinoids
- Those with existing keloids or a history of severe scarring
- Those with a skin resurfacing disorder
- Those who just tanned their skin through sunbathing, tanning creams, or tanning beds
Is IPL safe?
Definitely! For those of you suitable for this type of treatment, our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment is done with your safety and wellbeing in mind. Our skin therapists are trained to properly assess your skin condition and perform the procedure to deliver best results.
What is the difference between IPL and Laser?
IPL and laser facials both share the same goal of improving your skin’s appearance through the use of light-based technology. The method in how they do so is where the difference lies – most specifically in the kind of light used. IPL treatments involve broad-spectrum visible light scattered in different wavelengths, while laser treatments use single-spectrum light that is targeted on a specific area. Long story short, IPL treatments are capable of tackling different skin conditions at once, whereas laser treatments are made for more targeted problems.
Another big difference is the post-treatment downtime. Laser treatments usually take longer to recover from, although this will depend on the type of treatment you opt for. Either way, both light-based treatments are effective in their own right. When in doubt, consult our skin therapists to discuss the best option for you.
Book your IPL Skin Rejuvenation Treatment with Lovoir Skin Body & Beauty
If you’re ready to partake in all these amazing benefits, head on over to our website and check out our IPL Skin Rejuvenation treatment! Our skin therapists will be glad to sit down with you and customise the best treatment plan for your skin condition.
And if you want an even more radiant look, try our latest Teeth Whitening treatment. Your flawless, glowing skin will pair beautifully with a pearly white smile. You’ll leave our day spa looking and feeling good from within!
Excited for your glow up? See you at Lovoir!
Visit our Beauty Salon & Day Spa at Lovoir The Crossing: