Anti-aging is undoubtedly one of the hottest topics in the world of skincare, with women scrambling to find ways to achieve fresh, bright, younger-looking skin with the least amount of time, effort, and dare we say, money. But with so many types of anti-aging treatments offered at salons, spas, and skin clinics today, it can get a bit confusing to decide on one that would produce the best results. A particular face-off that’s been getting a lot of buzz these days: Galvanic facial vs. microdermabrasion. Which one is better, safer, more effective? If you’ve come with your questions, then we’re here with our answers!
In this article, we’ll talk about each of these treatments and help you zero in on one that is best for the results you want. Now, let’s set the record straight, shall we?
Galvanic Facial and Microdermabrasion for Aging Skin
If you’ve landed on this article, then chances are you already know what these treatments are. But in the rare case that these popular procedures sound gibberish to you, allow us to give you this quick recap. After all, it wouldn’t be a fair fight without first discussing what each player can bring to the game!
Galvanic facials and microdermabrasion are beauty treatments that are known for their impressive benefits on skin tone and texture. They both promise smooth and soft skin, a brighter complexion, and overall healthier skin through this shared ability: Collagen production.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our skin that is responsible for its structure and plumpness. The more collagen we have, the less chances of sagging skin, fine lines and wrinkles. That is why both treatments have become go-to solutions for reducing these visible signs of aging. That said, while they essentially focus on this same bodily function, their unique methods are what ultimately set them apart from the other.
What is a Microdermabrasion Facial Treatment?
Microdermabrasion is a form of physical exfoliation through the use of a device that buffs and suctions dead skin cells off our topmost layer, the epidermis. Depending on the skin clinic you go to, there are two ways to perform this treatment: Through (1) diamond microdermabrasion, which makes use of a diamond-tipped wand to gently exfoliate the skin, or (2) crystal dermabrasion that involves crystal particles that are released on the skin’s surface. Both ways are equally effective at removing dead skin cells, which – although is its main objective – gives way to a wide variety of anti-aging benefits. In short: New skin, new collagen, and overall skin rejuvenation!
Microdermabrasion facial benefits
- Removes old, damaged skin and replaces them with new, fresh skin
- Reduces fine lines, age spots, and wrinkles
- Reduces inflammation, acne-causing bacteria, and the appearance of acne scars
- Clears clogged pores and reduces excess oil
- Even outs skin texture
- Lightens skin discolouration and brightens complexion
Microdermabrasion facial side effects and process
- Treatment plan: 30 to 50 minutes per treatment, with six sessions needed for best results
- Sensations during treatment: No pain with slight scratching sensation
- Downtime: Minimal to zero
- Side effects: Slight redness and sensitivity, which should disappear within the day
- Suitable for: All skin types, except for those with very mature and thin skin
What is a Galvanic Facial Treatment?
A galvanic facial, on the other hand, is less straightforward and a lot more complex. It involves mild currents of electricity (also called direct galvanic currents) and a charged gel or serum that work together to infuse active ingredients and water-soluble substances into the skin. Okay, before we bore you with the scientific jargon, allow us to put it simply: As low electric currents pass through your skin’s layers, they improve our skin’s internal functions on the inside for it to look and feel better on the outside! And by adding skincare ingredients to the treatment, these products penetrate the skin and further work their magic!
Galvanic facial benefits
- Encourages cell renewal to reduce fine lines, age spots, and wrinkles
- Improves blood flow and the supply of oxygen on the skin
- Improves muscle tone for tighter, firmer skin
- Hydrates and moisturises the skin
- Clears clogged pores and reduces excess oil
- Improves product penetration and effectiveness
- Brightens and revitalizes complexion
Galvanic facial side effects and process
- Treatment plan: 30-50 minutes per treatment, with multiple treatments needed for best results
- Sensations during treatment: No pain with slight tingling sensation
- Downtime: Minimal to zero
- Side effects: Low chances of irritation
- Suitable for: All skin types, especially those with dry skin
Galvanic Facial vs. Microdermabrasion: Which One Is Better For Youthful Skin?
Now, the question on everyone’s mind! While we wish we had a clear-cut conclusion, the answer is a little bit more complicated than that. Both treatments offer their own set of advantages that surely result in more youthful skin. That said, choosing the right one will ultimately depend on what you prioritise.
A galvanic facial’s unique selling point is its ability to hydrate and tighten aging skin, while microdermabrasion’s edge is exfoliating and evening out aging skin tone and texture. Many consider galvanic facials to be a holistic treatment because of its effect on the skin’s blood flow and oxygen supply. Yet, on the other hand, microdermabrasion encourages skin renewal and rejuvenation by shedding old skin. So as you can see, each one is a master at something, and achieving the best results will vary on your specific skin concerns and expectations.
- For hydration: Galvanic facial
- For exfoliation: Microdermabrasion
- For reducing fine lines and wrinkles: Both, depending on the level of results you want to see.
- For instant results: Galvanic facial
- For long-term results: Microdermabrasion
- For the sensitive skin type: Both, depending on what skin issues you have.
Overall, if younger-looking skin is your goal, you can’t really get wrong with either of these treatments! Unsurprisingly enough, the only people who can finally end the debate are you and your skin therapist. By getting a proper skin assessment from a professional, you’ll be able to find out the best treatment plan for your needs. You’ll never know, you may even be told to combine both! Whatever the case may be, the most realistic advice we could give would be to work with the experts!
The Best Facials for Mature Skin, Wrinkles & Age Spots
When considering which spa or skin clinic will offer you the best service at an affordable price, be sure to do plenty of research before making a decision.
If you’re on the hunt around the Christchurch area, pay us a visit at Lovoir Skin Body & Beauty. Our skin therapists will take time to thoroughly explain our treatments and provide a personalised plan that will help you achieve your skin goals!
Among the various facial treatments we offer, our microdermabrasion treatment remains to be one of the favorites among our customers, many of whom have noticed significant improvements on their fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
Now, if you prefer a galvanic facial, our vitamin infusion facial may be a better fit. It makes use of galvanic currents to stimulate collagen production and infuse vitamins into your skin layer!
Whatever it is you decide to choose, you can rely on us to deliver safe, effective facials for your anti-aging goals!
Excited to try any of these facials? Give us a call or book a consultation with us, and we’ll be happy to recommend the best option for you!
Visit our Beauty Salon & Day Spa at Lovoir The Crossing: