Our Beyond® Polus II Ultrasonic Whitening Accelerator System is known to deliver instant results and a beautiful, white smile after just one session. Now, while the teeth whitening procedure may only take an hour or less, what you do afterwards will make all the difference!
As you revel in the newfound brightness of your smile, it’s essential to remember that the initial 48 hours post-treatment are crucial in achieving the best result. And to maintain those pearly whites, continuous care is a must.
Don’t you worry, though, we’re here to guide you through the entire process. Here’s everything you need to know about teeth whitening aftercare!
Teeth Whitening Aftercare Tips: The First 48 Hours
1. Avoid Staining Foods and Drinks
- Why? Freshly whitened teeth have open pores, making them more susceptible to staining foods and drinks.
- What to avoid? Just think of it this way: If it can stain a white shirt, it can stain your teeth! As such, steer clear off the following:
- Coffee and tea
- Red wine
- Dark sodas
- Berries and other dark fruits
- Tomato-based sauces
- Curry and turmeric spices
- Condiments like soy sauce and balsamic vinegar
2. Stick to White or Clear Foods and Drinks
In light of rule #1, think #2: Foods and drinks that are less likely to stain, especially during the first two days.
Keep it simple and stick to anything white or clear – milk, water, yoghurt, white rice, chicken, and fish.
3. Use a Straw
- Why? Straws help minimise the contact of liquids with your teeth, and consequently, potential staining. This is a good alternative for those who can’t stay away from their sodas and coloured beverages (it’s okay, we feel you!)
- Tip: Opt for a reusable straw to be eco-friendly!
4. Mind the Temperature
- Why? Similarly, teeth can be more sensitive to temperature extremes post-whitening.
- Tip: It’s best to opt for room temperature foods and drinks for a couple of days.
5. Say No to Smoking
- Why? Tobacco contains tar and nicotine, substances known to yellow teeth.
- Tip: Refrain from smoking for at least 48 hours post-treatment.
6. Don’t Brush Just Yet
- Why? Tooth sensitivity is common after a teeth whitening procedure, including ours at our Lovoir. That’s because your tooth enamel has been exposed to active ingredients. Nothing to worry about though, it’s temporary and should go away after a few hours to days!
- Tip: That said, we recommend waiting at least 24 hours before brushing to prevent potential abrasion.
Teeth Whitening Aftercare Tips: Regular Maintenance
To keep that smile gleaming long after you’ve left our spa, here are some best practices to do on the regular:
1. Maintain Oral Health and Hygiene
- Why? Good oral hygiene prevents plaque build-up, which can dull your smile.
- Tip: Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and consider incorporating a whitening toothpaste or mouthwash.
2. Limit Acidic Foods and Drinks
- Why? Acidic items can erode enamel, making teeth more prone to staining.
- Tip: Rinse your mouth with water after consuming acidic foods or drinks.
3. Schedule Touch-Ups
- Why? Over time, daily habits can gradually reduce the brightness of your teeth.
- Tip: Regular touch-ups can help maintain that Lovoir gleam. After your first session, talk to our specialists and agree on a tailored schedule that best suits you!
Other FAQs After Teeth Whitening
What if my teeth are sensitive?
It’s common to experience sensitivity post-whitening. Using toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth or a fluoride mouthwash can help. If sensitivity persists, consult with our specialists.
How often should I get touch-ups?
Everyone’s teeth and habits are different. While some might benefit from touch-ups every 6 months, others might only need them annually. Regular dental check-ups can also help gauge when you might need a touch-up.
Can I use home whitening products for touch-ups?
At-home products like teeth whitening strips or whitening toothpastes can be tempting, especially given their convenience and ease of use. And while they are generally safe and effective, they are best used as a mere addition to your oral care regimen, NOT as a replacement to more potent professional teeth whitening treatments.
That said, we always advise our customers to consult with a professional before using them. Some products may cause more harm than good, especially for those with sensitive teeth or gum issues.
Teeth Whitening at Lovoir
Achieving that dazzling smile is just the beginning. But with proper care and attention, you can enjoy its brilliance for a long time.
At Lovoir, we’re committed to ensuring you enjoy the best possible results long after you leave our day spa. Just follow our teeth whitening aftercare tips, and you’ll be well on your way to flaunting those pearly whites for months!
If you have further questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to us and we’ll gladly help you out. See you for your next session!