A little disclaimer before we get stuck in: We could probably fill hundreds of pages detailing all the benefits offered by Vitamin A, but that would a. Take way too much time and b. Prevent you from booking one of our awesome treatments (shameless plug. #sorrynotsorry).
Instead, we will be honing in on how Vitamin A is just so goddam good for your skin, and how you can benefit from it. Ready?
First, a bit of science.
You may have heard of retinal, retinol and retinoic acid; these are just some of the active forms of the group of compounds making up Vitamin A, found in animal foods. Carotenoids – such as beta-carotene – are another source and can be found in the plant-based foods we eat. Vitamin A is always converted to retinol by the liver, where it is then transported to cells throughout the body.
Of course, many forms of Vitamin A also exist in its skincare variations, too, with Retinal Acetate and Retinal Palmitate two of the most commonly used. But no matter where you get it from – diet, supplements and/or topical treatments – you can be sure its protective and nourishing properties will help to keep your skin firm, healthy, radiant and functioning at its very best at all times.
Vitamin A benefits
You’ve got the antioxidants found in carotenoids to thank for quashing the free radicals that would otherwise break down collagen (your skin’s support structure), resulting in fine lines and saggy skin. Research continues to show that topical applications of retinol can stimulate collagen production- also beneficial in minimising age spots.
Produces healthy skin cells
Retinaldehyde, retinol and retinoic acid all help contribute towards healthy cell production and growth. Vitamin A also stimulates fibroblasts – the cells responsible for creating tissue in the deep layers of your skin that keeps it firm and healthy.
Evens skin tone
By increasing cell production and growth, your skin is helped to shed the pigmented, damaged and rough outer layer, making way for a healthier surface which, in turn, enables light to bounce off more evenly (hello naturally glowing skin!). If that wasn’t enough, retinoids may even block the enzyme involved in melanin production, also paving the way for a brighter, more even-toned complexion.
Carotenoids-based antioxidants are also responsible for providing natural protection against the sun, reducing redness and pigmentation, as well as infection. This is because your skin is the first line of defence against bacteria, so by enhancing healthy cell production, it also helps strengthen the barrier against any nasties you’d rather not welcome into your body.
Spots form when pores become clogged with dead skin cells, bacteria and oil. Thanks to the cell turnover stimulation achieved by Vitamin A – and the anti-inflammatory properties of retinoids – this process will be swiftly stopped in its tracks.
Some things to keep in mind
- Vitamin A creams, oils and serums can cause sensitivity, redness and dry and flaky skin until you become acclimatised to retinoids. To minimise these side effects, build up the amount you use slowly over several weeks (or leave it to the experts – like us – to indulge you in one of our luxurious Vitamin A-infused treatments!). Book here.
- Wear sunscreen and reapply during the day to protect the healthy new cells Vitamin A is creating.
- Too much ingested Vitamin A can carry side effects, such as headaches, blurred vision, dizziness, liver damage and nausea.
- Retinol and retinoids are not advised when pregnant. However, there are gentler forms which are very beneficial during this exciting time! Call us for advice on +64 3-358 8410 – we’d be delighted to talk through the safer ways you can prevent a Vitamin A deficiency.
Our Vitamin A treatments
We’re spoiling you, we know, but here at Lovoir Beauty we offer a whole range of different ways your skin can get its fix:
- O Cosmedics Peel.Included in our range of facials is the retinol peel.
- Our tool of choice for microneedling needles in retinaldehyde to your skin.
- Infusion facial.Also uses retinaldehyde. So much to choose from … where will you start?
- Accelerate Facial.Our Retinol Power Peel and multi treatment super facial!